From the Lab to the Supermarket: Health & Regulatory Considerations of MUFAs
Join Leah Gillingham, MSc, PhD and Annette Maggi, MS, RD, LD, FADA as they provide a summary of research and behind-the-scenes insights into why somefats are good for us and how labeling laws affect how food manufacturers can promote them to consumers. Results from various consumer research studies highlighting perceptions of dietary fat will be shared. The webinar will also equip registered dietitians with information to help consumers make informed choices about fats at the grocery store. View thiswebinar to find out how you can make a difference in your clients’ shopping habits and health!Media
Leah Gillingham, MSc, PhD, is on the research team at the Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals. Her general research interests surround the health attributes of functional foods and nutraceuticals for chronic disease prevention. Using human clinical trials, her doctoral research focused on the effects of omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fatty acids on established and emerging risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
Annette Maggi, MS, RD, LD, FADA has robust experience consulting in the food manufacturing, retail and regulatory space and has experience at Fortune 500 companies such as Pillsbury, General Mills and Target,where she served as the Manager of Nutrition Labeling and NuVal, where she served as the Senior Director of Nutrition. She is now the President and Owner of Annette Maggi & Associates, a strategic nutrition marketing and communications firm specializing in the interface between food manufacturers and retail grocers, and nutrition and regulatory issues.
- Recognize the public health impact of monounsaturated fat intake, especially with regard to cardiovascular disease risk.
- Review novel scientific research that investigated effects of various dietary oil blends on cardiovascular health parameters and abdominal obesity.
- Understand current regulations and trends regarding food product labeling and claims as they relate to fat.
- Identify various nutrition labeling systems and strategies employed by food manufacturers and third party organizations.
- Review current consumer research highlighting perceptions towards dietary fats.
- Outline strategies and resources for the RD to equip consumers to make informed fats choices at the grocery store.
CPE Expires November 1, 2014