Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Membership Categories
Pathway to Academy Membership
- Active – This is the Academy’s largest membership category. Active members can enjoy all the benefits the Academy has to offer, including career, professional and continuing education resources. The Academy’s main, professional membership category encompasses:
- Individuals who have completed accredited dietetics education programs, and
- Individuals with advanced degrees in an approved area of concentration.
- Student – The Academy’s membership category for pre-professionals enrolled in (or stating their intent to enroll in) an approved dietetics education program. Student category members enjoy reduced dues while gaining access to the vast majority of benefits Active members enjoy, including career resources and scholarships.
- International – Individuals who have completed, or are completing, formal training in food, nutrition or dietetics received outside the United States may also qualify for membership with the Academy. The Academy's International category extends membership worldwide, providing networking for food and nutrition professionals and students in any area of practice, wherever they live.
- Retired – Individuals who have retired from dietetics practice and are at least 62 years of age qualify for reduced dues so they may maintain their Academy membership to remain connected to their profession and colleagues. Retired category members enjoy all the privileges and benefits of the Active membership category while also qualifying for discounts on a variety of Academy products and services.
- Associate – Practitioners in a wide variety of fields related to health care, food, culinary, school nutrition, sports and fitness may now join the Academy as an Associate. Associates have access to extensive benefits, including the Evidence Analysis Library, professional publications, networking opportunities and preferred pricing on resources and conferences.
Information about the Academy's five membership classifications can also be viewed by downloading the Membership Pathways brochure.
Value of Academy Membership
The Academy provides a multitude of products and services designed to help our members develop their skills, advance their careers, and achieve their professional goals. Members can take advantage of the following valued benefits:
- Publications, including access to the Journal ($385 in value), a free subscription to Food & Nutrition Magazine®, exclusive access to email newsletters, discounts on Nutrition Care Manual subscriptions (up to $167 in savings) and electronic Nutrition Care Process Terminology subscriptions (up to $75 in savings), and access to all eatrightPRO.org content.
- Career and business resources, including the Find an Expert Listing ($249 in value), the Compensation Benefits Survey ($250 in value), and savings on Eatright Careers job postings ($235 in savings).
- Educational opportunities, including free CPE in the Journal ($1,080 in value) and through the Academy’s Online Certificate of Training Programs ($375-$240 in savings per program).
- Practice, Science and Quality resources, such as access to the Evidence Analysis Library ($250 in value) and access to the Academy's position and practice papers.
- FNCE® Early bird registration ($320 in savings).
- Scholarships and awards provided by the Academy and its Foundation, such as Foundation scholarships, the National Honors and Awards and the Fellow program. (Exclusive to members)
- Networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, including eMentoring and DPG and MIG membership. (Exclusive to Members)
- Discounts on products and insurance. (Exclusive to members)
- eatrightSTORE.org Online discounts. (Exclusive to members)
- Nutrition Information Services access, which includes help from staff RDNs. (Exclusive to members)
2018/2019 Academy Active Category Membership: $234. This sampling of benefits: more than $3,000 in savings.
Value of SCAN Membership
SCAN offers a wealth of benefits to members. Members are registered dietitians with nutrition expertise in the areas of sports, physical activity, cardiovascular health, wellness, and the prevention and treatment of disordered eating and eating disorders.
Learning and Professional Development Opportunities
- PULSE, a quarterly, peer-reviewed publication with CPE in every issue
- SCAN Connection, a bimonthly member newsletter providing a cross-functional perspective on emerging trends and best practices in SCAN's practice areas
- The BEAT, our dedicated newsletter by and for students
- SCAN Annual Symposium
- Unparalleled networking
- Up to 20 CPE credits
- Expo with Member Display option
- Poster session
- Member reception
- Member awards banquet
- Fitness events
- On-demand viewing 24/7/365
- Access to Natural Medicines Database for unbiased, scientific, clinical information on complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies
- Fact sheets for client education, marketing needs, and guidance on practice issues
- Network opportunities to develop professional skills and engage with your peers
- Leadership opportunities to contribute to your profession through volunteer opportunities
- Member directory to enhance job search and networking
- Promote your products and services via Member Library Marketplace
- Influence public policy and advocate for reimbursement
Member Value Initiatives
- Wellness Task Force - creating 5-year plan to support RDNs in wellness practice now and into the future
- Expanding the Arena Initiative: Optimizing Performance on Every Stage - encouraging SCAN members to rethink the role of the sports RDN and spread their reach into new arenas
- Student Council - ensuring SCAN initiatives meet member needs
- Online discussion forums for each of SCAN's practice areas, as well as public policy and other hot topics
- Social media connections via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Pinterest, and Instagram
- SCAN events at FNCE® and Annual Symposium
- Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) credential, available through CDR, developed with assistance of SD-USA, a subunit of SCAN
Publications Offered Though the Academy
- Sports Nutrition: A Practice Manual for Professionals 6th edition and companion CD. Edited by SCAN member Chris Karpinski with chapters authored by many SCAN members. Expected publication date 2017.
- Sports Nutrition Care Manual. Internet-based practice manual written by SCAN members who are Board Certified as Specialists in Sports Dietetics. Order at www.nutritioncaremanual.org.
- American College of Sports Medicine
SCAN member Laura Kruskall, PhD, RDN, CSSD, LD, FACMS, FAND is currently serving a three-year term as Academy representative to the American College of Sports Medicine, where she represents SCAN and the Academy's positions and practice guidelines.
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition Science Board
The PCFSN Science Board includes scholars who are selected because of their significant contributions to the research and science of physical activity, health, sports or nutrition. SCAN member Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD now serves on the PCFSN Science Board.
- National Physical Activity Plan
The National Physical Activity Plan is a comprehensive set of policies, programs, and initiatives that aim to increase physical activity in all segments of the American population. The Plan is the product of a private-public sector collaborative. Hundreds of organizations are working together to change our communities in ways that will enable every American to be sufficiently physically active. SCAN member Kim Beals, PhD, RD, CSSD, LDN serves as the Academy's representative to the NPAP Coordinating Committee.
- American Heart Association
SCAN member Linda Van Horn is the Academy representative to the Nutrition Committee.
SCAN External Networks
- Academy for Eating Disorders
- National Athletic Trainers Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Professionals in Nutrition for Exercise and Sport
- National Lipid Association
- American Association for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Awards and Grants
- SCAN Distinguished Scholar Award
- SCAN Distinguished Ambassador Award
- SCAN Achievement Award
- SCAN Excellence in Practice Award
- SCAN Student Award
- SCAN Student Research Grants Program
- SCAN Student Stipends to FNCE® and Symposium