SCAN's Google news feed captures media stories on the topics of SCAN nutrition, whereas the PubMed feed features current research in these areas. SCAN News is where member accomplishments are highlighted, submit stories and news for consideration to email@example.com.
Monday, August 5, 2013 | SCAN Member News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession through research, education, and advocacy. Public policy and advocacy are core functions of the Academy and are critical to achieving the mission, vision, goals and strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan Roadmap. Public policy significantly influences and forms the public image of the Academy and that of the dietetics profession. Continue Reading
SCAN Member News
- 10/23/2014 | 3 Hot Nutrition Trends: Healthy or Gimmicky? - U.S. News & World Report (blog)
When I attended the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo in Atlanta earlier this week, I was on a mission. Sure, I wanted to network with my friends and colleagues, eat and drink at fun restaurants, go to a karaoke ... Continue Reading
- 2/10/2013 | Protein needs of older adults - Seacoastonline.com
By boosting lean protein sources at meals and around exercise as part of a balanced healthy diet, older adults can enhance muscle mass and related health concerns. Pam Stuppy, MS, RD, CSSD, LD is a registered, licensed dietitian with nutrition ... Continue Reading
- 1/25/2013 | Top 10 Nutrition and Exercise Tips Presentation March 5 in Incline Village - YubaNet (press release)
Join Registered Dietitian Jill Whisler and Exercise Physiologist Wendy Buchanan for the top ten nutrition and exercise tips for peak performance and health. Jill and Wendy are with the Tahoe Center for Health and Sports Performance. They offer a number ... Continue Reading
Cardiovascular Health--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Fish Consumption and Acute Coronary Syndrome: A Meta-Analysis.
- 5/10/2014 | Experiences and perceptions about cause and prevention of cardiovascular disease among people with cardiometabolic conditions: findings of in-depth interviews from a peri-urban Nepalese community.
- 5/10/2014 | The composition and metabolism of large and small LDL.
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa: brains, bones and breeding.
- 5/10/2014 | What is the role of metabolic hormones in taste buds of the tongue.
- 5/10/2014 | Weight at birth and subsequent fecundability: a prospective cohort study.
Sports Nutrition--Pub Med
- 8/1/2014 | Sansum Nutrition for Athletes: Benefits of Beets - Presidio Sports
Research published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has shown that eating cooked beets can acutely improve running performance. After eating 200 grams (7 ounces) of cooked beets, runners ran an average of 3 percent faster. Continue Reading
- 7/31/2014 | Science builds for Chemi Nutra's Mediator Phosphatidic acid ingredient for ... - NutraIngredients-usa.com
Sports nutrition supplements containing phosphatidic acid (PA), a lipid messenger, may stimulate increases in muscle size, lean body mass, and strength, says a new study using Chemi Nutra's Mediator ingredient. Continue Reading
- 5/10/2014 | Exercise, nutrition and the brain.
Wellness & Weight Management--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Maternal history of diabetes is associated with increased cardiometabolic risk in Chinese.
- 5/10/2014 | Lowering dietary glycaemic index through nutrition education among Malaysian women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.
- 5/10/2014 | Periconception Weight Loss: Common Sense for Mothers, but What about for Babies?
Cardiovascular Health--Google News
- 11/7/2014 | 6 Whole Grains To Try - Huffington Post
Including plenty of whole grains in your diet puts you at lower risk for diabetes, heart disease and certain kinds of cancer. Studies ... There's a big wide world of healthy whole grains, each with distinct flavors and health benefits for the ... Continue Reading
- 10/30/2014 | 9 Fats to Include in a Healthy Diet - EGP News
In the September issue of Food Technology magazine published by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), Contributing Editor Linda Milo Ohr writes about how fatty acids and nutritional oils may benefit cognition, weight management, heart health, eye ... Continue Reading
- 10/14/2014 | Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health – WebMD - WebMD
13abc Action News Continue Reading
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Google News
- 7/24/2014 | Eating disorders seen in primary school children: dietician - ABC Local
Download this mp3 file. Kerryn O'Brien said that whereas eating disorder behaviour is usually first detected in teenage years, it could now be seen in middle and upper primary school children. "Obviously with a lot of these weight issues it's multi ... Continue Reading
- 4/5/2013 | Hope College researcher to examine whether brain circuitry impacts eating ... - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
“There is a very strong relationship between the onset of puberty and eating disorders,” said Fraley, a neuroscientist. “So this research investigates one brain circuitry that overlaps both. If we can understand the circuitry, perhaps we can understand ... Continue Reading
- 3/28/2013 | Dietetics Majors May Be Prone to Eating Disorders - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun
Beginning in the mid-1980s, anecdotal and empirical evidence has suggested that there may be a higher prevalence of behaviors and symptoms associated with eating disorders among dietetics and nutrition students. That phenomenon may also exist at ... Continue Reading
Sports Nutrition--Google News
- 11/6/2014 | Should I Drink Coconut Water? - TIME
“I'd rather spend my money on natural foods and not an expensive, over-hyped fluid,” says Nancy Clark, a registered dietitian and sports nutrition counselor. “It is a good source of potassium, but so are bananas and potatoes. ” In fact, manufacturers ... Continue Reading
- 7/23/2014 | Managing Nutrition to Maximize Performance - Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Sports nutrition is a science now, but it hasn't always been. Roll back the clock some 40 years to the earliest editions of the Volvo Ocean Race, and sailors could be seen boarding the boats overflowing with boxes of roast beef, baked beans, and beer. Continue Reading
- 3/20/2014 | Health Column: Sports nutrition, muscle function and hormones - Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Exercise is the key, but nutrition plays a critical role in making the exercise pay off. This three-part column will show you how to maximize your hormonal systems for the greatest athletic gains, detail the critical elements of sports nutrition and ... Continue Reading
Wellness & Weight Management--Google News
- 11/7/2014 | This Week's Nutrition News Feed - Healthy Eats (blog)
A new study, published in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, has called into question the contention that resveratrol, a substance found in the skin of red grapes and also available as a supplement, enhances the benefits of ... Continue Reading
- 11/7/2014 | School lunches offer better average nutrition than packed lunches - Medical Xpress
Philly.com Continue Reading
- 3/13/2014 | Happy National Nutrition Month! 6 Simple Tips for a Healthier Eating Lifestyle - Babble
While a bachelor's degree and specific academic achievements must be met, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says that 50% of RDs hold advanced degrees. Some also hold specializations in areas such as sports nutrition, pediatrics, renal disease ... Continue Reading