SCAN's Google news feed captures media stories on the topics of SCAN nutrition, whereas the PubMed feed features current research in these areas. SCAN News is where member accomplishments are highlighted, submit stories and news for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, August 05, 2013 | SCAN Member News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession through research, education, and advocacy. Public policy and advocacy are core functions of the Academy and are critical to achieving the mission, vision, goals and strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan Roadmap. Public policy significantly influences and forms the public image of the Academy and that of the dietetics profession. Continue Reading
SCAN Member News
- 2/10/2013 | Protein needs of older adults - Seacoastonline.com
By boosting lean protein sources at meals and around exercise as part of a balanced healthy diet, older adults can enhance muscle mass and related health concerns. Pam Stuppy, MS, RD, CSSD, LD is a registered, licensed dietitian with nutrition ... Continue Reading
- 1/25/2013 | Top 10 Nutrition and Exercise Tips Presentation March 5 in Incline Village - YubaNet (press release)
Join Registered Dietitian Jill Whisler and Exercise Physiologist Wendy Buchanan for the top ten nutrition and exercise tips for peak performance and health. Jill and Wendy are with the Tahoe Center for Health and Sports Performance. They offer a number ... Continue Reading
- 1/18/2013 | OSU to Host Food, Nutrition and Health Conference - The Lund Report
Health. The goals of this annual conference are to provide updates on the latest research and address critical issues in nutrition and healthy eating. The target audience is dietitians, nutrition educators and health professionals in preventive and ... Continue Reading
Cardiovascular Health--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Fish Consumption and Acute Coronary Syndrome: A Meta-Analysis.
- 5/10/2014 | Experiences and perceptions about cause and prevention of cardiovascular disease among people with cardiometabolic conditions: findings of in-depth interviews from a peri-urban Nepalese community.
- 5/10/2014 | The composition and metabolism of large and small LDL.
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa: brains, bones and breeding.
- 5/10/2014 | What is the role of metabolic hormones in taste buds of the tongue.
- 5/10/2014 | Weight at birth and subsequent fecundability: a prospective cohort study.
Sports Nutrition--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Exercise, nutrition and the brain.
- 5/10/2014 | Polyphenol supplementation: benefits for exercise performance or oxidative stress?
- 5/10/2014 | Gastrointestinal complaints during exercise: prevalence, etiology, and nutritional recommendations.
Wellness & Weight Management--Pub Med
- 5/10/2014 | Maternal history of diabetes is associated with increased cardiometabolic risk in Chinese.
- 5/10/2014 | Lowering dietary glycaemic index through nutrition education among Malaysian women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus.
- 5/10/2014 | Periconception Weight Loss: Common Sense for Mothers, but What about for Babies?
Cardiovascular Health--Google News
- 3/18/2014 | Health Benefits Of Dark Chocolate Explained: Fermentation Process Lowers ... - Medical Daily
New research from Louisiana State University offers the first-ever glimpse of the mechanism by which dark chocolate benefits cardiovascular health, a complex biological process that has traditionally been shrouded in mystery. Maria Moore, an ... Continue Reading
- 3/2/2014 | Added sugar linked to cardiovascular disease death - Food Consumer
Sunday March 3, 2014 (foodconsumer.org) -- A new study in JAMA Internal Medicine suggests that consumption of added sugar can increase the risk for cardiovascular disease. Frank B. Hu, MD, PhD from Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, ... Continue Reading
- 2/22/2014 | Fibromyalgia Patients May Be at Higher Risk for Cardiovascular Disease - ProHealth
The presence of some common features between fibromyalgia and cardiovascular risk factors (e.g. depression and sleep disturbance) led to question of whether there is there a relationship between fibromyalgia and cardiovascular disease and/or ... Continue Reading
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Google News
- 4/5/2013 | Hope College researcher to examine whether brain circuitry impacts eating ... - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
“There is a very strong relationship between the onset of puberty and eating disorders,” said Fraley, a neuroscientist. “So this research investigates one brain circuitry that overlaps both. If we can understand the circuitry, perhaps we can understand ... Continue Reading
- 3/28/2013 | Dietetics Majors May Be Prone to Eating Disorders - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun
Beginning in the mid-1980s, anecdotal and empirical evidence has suggested that there may be a higher prevalence of behaviors and symptoms associated with eating disorders among dietetics and nutrition students. That phenomenon may also exist at ... Continue Reading
- 3/20/2013 | Proposed eating disorder diagnosis linked to cognitive, mental health concerns - Healio
The retrospective case-control study included all cases of children and adolescents aged 8 to 18 years who met diagnostic criteria for avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder at seven pediatric/adolescent eating disorders programs in the United ... Continue Reading
Sports Nutrition--Google News
- 3/20/2014 | Health Column: Sports nutrition, muscle function and hormones - Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Exercise is the key, but nutrition plays a critical role in making the exercise pay off. This three-part column will show you how to maximize your hormonal systems for the greatest athletic gains, detail the critical elements of sports nutrition and ... Continue Reading
- 2/27/2014 | banned substances - Health24.com
Supplement use should be individual-specific and sport-specific. Certain nutritional supplements, if used correctly, can play a small but important role in enhancing sports performance. However, it is important that the use of nutritional supplements ... Continue Reading
- 12/18/2013 | Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reinforces importance of food, not supplements - Medical Xpress
Newswise (press release) Continue Reading
Wellness & Weight Management--Google News
- 3/13/2014 | Happy National Nutrition Month! 6 Simple Tips for a Healthier Eating Lifestyle - Babble
While a bachelor's degree and specific academic achievements must be met, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says that 50% of RDs hold advanced degrees. Some also hold specializations in areas such as sports nutrition, pediatrics, renal disease ... Continue Reading
- 12/20/2013 | How can lack of nutrition cause obesity? - Sun-Sentinel
Your opinions are important to us and other readers. Letters must be signed (no pseudonyms nor initials) and are subject to editing for clarity and length. You must include your e-mail address, address and daytime phone number for verification. Read ... Continue Reading
- 12/19/2013 | Nutrition News: Breakfast boost - Marblehead Reporter
The study, conducted in Tel Aviv and reported in Environmental Nutrition (December 2013) found that timing of caloric intake may greatly impact weight loss and other health factors. The researchers divided 93 obese women into two groups: a big ... Continue Reading