SCAN's Google news feed captures media stories on the topics of SCAN nutrition, whereas the PubMed feed features current research in these areas. SCAN News is where member accomplishments are highlighted, submit stories and news for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, August 05, 2013 | SCAN Member News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession through research, education, and advocacy. Public policy and advocacy are core functions of the Academy and are critical to achieving the mission, vision, goals and strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan Roadmap. Public policy significantly influences and forms the public image of the Academy and that of the dietetics profession. Continue Reading
SCAN Member News
- 2/10/2013 | Protein needs of older adults - Seacoastonline.com
By boosting lean protein sources at meals and around exercise as part of a balanced healthy diet, older adults can enhance muscle mass and related health concerns. Pam Stuppy, MS, RD, CSSD, LD is a registered, licensed dietitian with nutrition ... Continue Reading
- 1/25/2013 | Top 10 Nutrition and Exercise Tips Presentation March 5 in Incline Village - YubaNet (press release)
Join Registered Dietitian Jill Whisler and Exercise Physiologist Wendy Buchanan for the top ten nutrition and exercise tips for peak performance and health. Jill and Wendy are with the Tahoe Center for Health and Sports Performance. They offer a number ... Continue Reading
- 1/18/2013 | OSU to Host Food, Nutrition and Health Conference - The Lund Report
Health. The goals of this annual conference are to provide updates on the latest research and address critical issues in nutrition and healthy eating. The target audience is dietitians, nutrition educators and health professionals in preventive and ... Continue Reading
Cardiovascular Health--Pub Med
- 2/23/2014 | Weight gain in infancy is associated with carotid extra-medial thickness in later childhood.
- 2/23/2014 | Lipid signals and insulin resistance.
- 2/23/2014 | Inverse association between habitual polyphenol intake and incidence of cardiovascular events in the PREDIMED study.
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Pub Med
- 2/23/2014 | Risk of disordered eating attitudes among male adolescents in five Emirates of the United Arab Emirates.
- 2/23/2014 | Relationship between eating styles and temperament in an Anorexia Nervosa, Healthy Control, and Morbid Obesity female sample.
- 2/23/2014 | Interaction between genetic predisposition to obesity and dietary calcium in relation to subsequent change in body weight and waist circumference.
Sports Nutrition--Pub Med
- 2/23/2014 | Heart rate response and fitness effects of various types of physical education for 8- to 9-year-old schoolchildren.
- 2/23/2014 | Alcohol Ingestion Impairs Maximal Post-Exercise Rates of Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis following a Single Bout of Concurrent Training.
- 2/23/2014 | FLUID BALANCE DURING TRAINING IN ELITE YOUNG ATHLETES OF DIFFERENT SPORTS.
Wellness & Weight Management--Pub Med
- 2/23/2014 | Ghrelin receptor regulates HFCS-induced adipose inflammation and insulin resistance.
- 2/23/2014 | Bisphenol A induces differentiation of human preadipocytes in the absence of glucocorticoid and is inhibited by an estrogen-receptor antagonist.
- 2/23/2014 | The influence of fasting insulin level in post-gestational diabetes mellitus women receiving low-glycaemic-index diets.
Cardiovascular Health--Google News
- 8/4/2013 | Nutrition tip of the week: The DASH Diet - Lakenewsonline.com
... ranked 29 of the “Best Overall Diets,” and the winner was the DASH diet. The diets were judged based on the following categories: short-term weight loss, long-term weight loss, easiness to follow, nutrition, safety, best for diabetes and best for ... Continue Reading
- 8/4/2013 | "Eat the rainbow" for good nutrition - Lexington Herald Leader
Have you been trying to work more fruits and vegetables into your diet? It's a bit more complex and beneficial than simply eating "an apple a day" as the old saying goes. Selecting a bigger and bolder variety of fruits and vegetables offers a wealth of ... Continue Reading
- 3/26/2013 | Exercise & Nutrition Apps - WLOS
Fooducate lets you scan product barcodes to pull up nutritional information, product reviews and suggestions for healthier alternatives. Simply scanning a bar code is much easier than doing loads of research and trying to find healthier alternatives on ... Continue Reading
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Google News
- 4/5/2013 | Hope College researcher to examine whether brain circuitry impacts eating ... - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
“There is a very strong relationship between the onset of puberty and eating disorders,” said Fraley, a neuroscientist. “So this research investigates one brain circuitry that overlaps both. If we can understand the circuitry, perhaps we can understand ... Continue Reading
- 3/28/2013 | Dietetics Majors May Be Prone to Eating Disorders - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun
Beginning in the mid-1980s, anecdotal and empirical evidence has suggested that there may be a higher prevalence of behaviors and symptoms associated with eating disorders among dietetics and nutrition students. That phenomenon may also exist at ... Continue Reading
- 3/20/2013 | Proposed eating disorder diagnosis linked to cognitive, mental health concerns - Healio
The retrospective case-control study included all cases of children and adolescents aged 8 to 18 years who met diagnostic criteria for avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder at seven pediatric/adolescent eating disorders programs in the United ... Continue Reading
Sports Nutrition--Google News
- 12/18/2013 | Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reinforces importance of food, not supplements - Medical Xpress
Newswise (press release) Continue Reading
- 12/12/2013 | FNS Takes Nutrition Message to DC United's Youth Soccer Event - USDA.gov (press release) (blog)
The “Fall Kick” brought together youth ages 6-12 from across the District and Maryland to RFK stadium making it a perfect event to reach out to the local community and spread FNCS' message of good nutrition and physical activity. The event featured ... Continue Reading
- 10/16/2013 | Athletes are what they eat - Spartan Daily
Nutrition plays a key role in athletic performance, providing the nutrients necessary for athletes to compete. Maintaining a well-balanced diet contributes to athletes' ability to endure a strenuous workout. “A diet can be defined as anything someone ... Continue Reading
Wellness & Weight Management--Google News
- 12/20/2013 | How can lack of nutrition cause obesity? - Sun-Sentinel
Your opinions are important to us and other readers. Letters must be signed (no pseudonyms nor initials) and are subject to editing for clarity and length. You must include your e-mail address, address and daytime phone number for verification. Read ... Continue Reading
- 12/19/2013 | Nutrition News: Breakfast boost - Marblehead Reporter
The study, conducted in Tel Aviv and reported in Environmental Nutrition (December 2013) found that timing of caloric intake may greatly impact weight loss and other health factors. The researchers divided 93 obese women into two groups: a big ... Continue Reading
- 10/16/2013 | El Paso County nutrition program delivers free meals to seniors throughout ... - KFOX El Paso
Over the last two weeks, the government shutdown has crippled funding for some programs that rely on federal funding, but the El Paso County nutrition program has stood strong, and has continued to deliver meals to seniors in need every morning, Monday ... Continue Reading