SCAN's Google news feed captures media stories on the topics of SCAN nutrition, whereas the PubMed feed features current research in these areas. SCAN News is where member accomplishments are highlighted, submit stories and news for consideration to email@example.com.
Monday, August 05, 2013 | SCAN Member News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession through research, education, and advocacy. Public policy and advocacy are core functions of the Academy and are critical to achieving the mission, vision, goals and strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan Roadmap. Public policy significantly influences and forms the public image of the Academy and that of the dietetics profession. Continue Reading
SCAN Member News
- 2/10/2013 | Protein needs of older adults - Seacoastonline.com
By boosting lean protein sources at meals and around exercise as part of a balanced healthy diet, older adults can enhance muscle mass and related health concerns. Pam Stuppy, MS, RD, CSSD, LD is a registered, licensed dietitian with nutrition ... Continue Reading
- 1/25/2013 | Top 10 Nutrition and Exercise Tips Presentation March 5 in Incline Village - YubaNet (press release)
Join Registered Dietitian Jill Whisler and Exercise Physiologist Wendy Buchanan for the top ten nutrition and exercise tips for peak performance and health. Jill and Wendy are with the Tahoe Center for Health and Sports Performance. They offer a number ... Continue Reading
- 1/18/2013 | OSU to Host Food, Nutrition and Health Conference - The Lund Report
Health. The goals of this annual conference are to provide updates on the latest research and address critical issues in nutrition and healthy eating. The target audience is dietitians, nutrition educators and health professionals in preventive and ... Continue Reading
Cardiovascular Health--Pub Med
- 11/3/2013 | Abundant daily non-sedentary activity is associated with reduced prevalence of metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance.
- 11/3/2013 | Modifying effect of obesity on the association between sitting time and incident diabetes in post-menopausal women.
- 11/3/2013 | Dietary Nitrite Improves Insulin Signaling Through GLUT4 Translocation.
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Pub Med
- 11/3/2013 | Comparative study of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy and nutritional support in patients with different types of eating disorders.
- 11/3/2013 | Associations of breastfeeding with bulimic behaviors and eating disorders among adolescents.
- 11/3/2013 | Eating disorders during pregnancy.
Sports Nutrition--Pub Med
- 11/3/2013 | Evaluation of lifestyle of underweight, normal weight and overweight young women.
- 11/3/2013 | Nutrition for Tennis: Practical Recommendations.
- 11/3/2013 | Training table to the battlefield: protein recommendations for warfighters.
Wellness & Weight Management--Pub Med
- 11/3/2013 | Fish oil-supplementation from 9 to 12 months of age affects infant attention in a free-play test and is related to change in blood pressure.
- 11/3/2013 | Reproducibility of ultrasonography for assessing abdominal fat distribution in a population at high risk of diabetes.
- 11/3/2013 | The concurrent validity between leptin, BMI and skin folds during pregnancy and the year after.
Cardiovascular Health--Google News
- 8/4/2013 | Nutrition tip of the week: The DASH Diet - Lakenewsonline.com
... ranked 29 of the “Best Overall Diets,” and the winner was the DASH diet. The diets were judged based on the following categories: short-term weight loss, long-term weight loss, easiness to follow, nutrition, safety, best for diabetes and best for ... Continue Reading
- 8/4/2013 | "Eat the rainbow" for good nutrition - Lexington Herald Leader
Have you been trying to work more fruits and vegetables into your diet? It's a bit more complex and beneficial than simply eating "an apple a day" as the old saying goes. Selecting a bigger and bolder variety of fruits and vegetables offers a wealth of ... Continue Reading
- 3/26/2013 | Exercise & Nutrition Apps - WLOS
Fooducate lets you scan product barcodes to pull up nutritional information, product reviews and suggestions for healthier alternatives. Simply scanning a bar code is much easier than doing loads of research and trying to find healthier alternatives on ... Continue Reading
Disordered Eating & Eating Disorders--Google News
- 4/5/2013 | Hope College researcher to examine whether brain circuitry impacts eating ... - The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
“There is a very strong relationship between the onset of puberty and eating disorders,” said Fraley, a neuroscientist. “So this research investigates one brain circuitry that overlaps both. If we can understand the circuitry, perhaps we can understand ... Continue Reading
- 3/28/2013 | Dietetics Majors May Be Prone to Eating Disorders - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun
Beginning in the mid-1980s, anecdotal and empirical evidence has suggested that there may be a higher prevalence of behaviors and symptoms associated with eating disorders among dietetics and nutrition students. That phenomenon may also exist at ... Continue Reading
- 3/20/2013 | Proposed eating disorder diagnosis linked to cognitive, mental health concerns - Healio
The retrospective case-control study included all cases of children and adolescents aged 8 to 18 years who met diagnostic criteria for avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder at seven pediatric/adolescent eating disorders programs in the United ... Continue Reading
Sports Nutrition--Google News
- 10/16/2013 | Athletes are what they eat - Spartan Daily
Nutrition plays a key role in athletic performance, providing the nutrients necessary for athletes to compete. Maintaining a well-balanced diet contributes to athletes' ability to endure a strenuous workout. “A diet can be defined as anything someone ... Continue Reading
- 10/16/2013 | Slide Show: Exploring Sports Nutrition at SupplySide West - Natural Products INSIDER
For more than 15 years, SupplySide has helped those in the dietary supplement, food, beverage, personal care and animal nutrition industries to break through the hype and ambiguity to find the information they need to explore, discover, innovate and ... Continue Reading
- 4/3/2013 | ESSNA Repositions Itself in Sports Nutrition Industry - Natural Products INSIDER
LONDON—The European Specialist Sports Nutrition Alliance (ESSN) repositioned itself as a trade body for the European sports nutrition sector and will police the industry's compliance with EU regulations. Since December 2003, ESSNA planned to ... Continue Reading
Wellness & Weight Management--Google News
- 10/16/2013 | El Paso County nutrition program delivers free meals to seniors throughout ... - KFOX El Paso
Over the last two weeks, the government shutdown has crippled funding for some programs that rely on federal funding, but the El Paso County nutrition program has stood strong, and has continued to deliver meals to seniors in need every morning, Monday ... Continue Reading
- 10/16/2013 | National Restaurant Association Releases Industry Nutrition Report - PerishableNews (press release)
Washington, D.C. - The National Restaurant Association (NRA) announced the release of its “On The Menu: Restaurant Nutrition Initiatives” report, offering insight into nutrition trends and initiatives throughout the restaurant industry, including ... Continue Reading
- 10/16/2013 | Report Finds Major Challenges to Meeting Global Food and Nutrition Needs by ... - PR Web (press release)
The Global Harvest Initiative (GHI) today released its 4th annual Global Agricultural Productivity Report® (GAP Report®) at the World Food Prize Symposium before an audience of global scientists, agricultural industry experts, farmers, and development ... Continue Reading