Disordered Eating and Eating Disorders
Disordered Eating and Eating Disorder RD's: As a subunit of SCAN, Disordered Eating and Eating Disorders (DEED) has a leadership team, an organizational structure, and strategic goals.
DEED Leadership Team
Director: Therese Waterhouse PhD, RD
Assistant Director: Karen Wetherall MS, RD
Past Director: Christina Scribner, MS RD, CSSD
Volunteer Coordinator: Amanda Kirpitch MA, RD, LDN, CDE
Volunteer Coordinator: Sarah Gleason, RD
SCAN Symposium Committee Representative: Melanie Jacob RD, CSSD
Volunteer Coordinator: Gena Wollenberg MS, RD, CSSD
AED Nutrition SIG REpresentative: Hilmar Wagner MPH, RD
Statement of Purpose
DEED (Disordered Eating and Eating Disorder) is dedicated to promoting nutrition practices that aid in the prevention of harmful eating behaviors, the promotion of recovery from disordered eating and eating disorders, and the development of lifelong healthful attitudes and behaviors related to food, body weight and physical activity. DEED members have a wealth of clinical experience in medical nutrition therapy and serve as a source of science-based information for other allied health professionals, other DEED members, and those we serve.
Ask the Doc Forum is a online forum where SCAN members can submit their professional questions to Eating Disorder expert Dr. Ed Tyson.
- Apply and expand the science and art of nutrition therapy in disordered eating and eating disorders.
- Provide guidance in safe and effective nutrition therapy practices for disordered eating and eating disorders.
- Increase visibility of members with other organizations.
- Provide leadership and insight to issues which offer opportunities for the RD to be proactive, resulting in an increase in demand for and utilization of services.
- Provide opportunities for education and professional growth to members working with disordered eating and eating disorders (workshops, presentations, e-learning).
- Maintain and expand the DEED subunit
- Recruit and retain members.
- Enlist member volunteers to create, implement, and manage DEED activities.
- Communicate with members via social media, website, and SCAN'S PULSE newsletter.
- Maintain educational and practice-related resources on SCAN’s Web site.
- Educate RDs regarding the Standards of Practice (SOP) and Standards of Professional Performance (SOPP) for RDs in Disordered Eating and Eating Disorders.